Wednesday, October 21, 2009

1860's Wool Dress


For my upcoming event at Minooka this past month I decided to make myself a cotton/wool blend dress. I added red velvet trim which I think really made the dress "pop". I got my inspiration from originals and CDVs. Its the same basic pattern for my other dresses I've made in the past however this dress is darted (woo hoo) rather then gathered in the bodice. All the trim is hand stitched, except for the trim on the skirt because lets be honest that's just too much trim to hand stitch! The dress only took me three weeks although I still have a couple more adjustments to make. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Even better is that I had most of the material on hand and didn't have to spend much at all on this project. It helped keep me nice and warm this past weekend so as far as I'm concerned it did its job. I know I'll get a lot more use out of this next spring too.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely am soo in love with you dress!! The trim work is perfect! I love your entire ensemble! So authentic! It seems I was looking up parasols, and your site happened to be one I stumbled upon- and I realized that I had found yours months ago! I found your ballgown- and just was so mesmerized by it's loveliness! I absolutely love your site and I CANNOT wait to see what else you've in store! I will be back!

    ~ Samantha Jane

    ReplyDelete